19 November, 2008

Designer You Oughta Know - Michelle Cole Rose

In keeping with promoting local talents from Guyana, Guyana Lime is once again proud to feature another Top designer that has made a name for herself. The name Michelle Cole Rose over the years has become synonymous with the very exquisite genres of glamour and fashion, and has impacted greatly, especially in the local fashion arena.

A true representation of success, since the day, in her eleventh year, when she had gotten her first sewing machine, Michelle’s innovation grew; making uniforms for school friends by the age of twelve, then onwards to making a living from her creations by fifteen. Many years after, Michelle Cole still strikes the iron as hot as she had then, for now her clothes are carried in some of the best boutiques in the Caribbean and in the United States.

Michelle is a nature and fun-loving gal, this can be evident in her designs, with natural fibers, earth tones, stones, wooden beads, shells, paintings and raffia; for her goal as a fashion designer is to ‘Recreate nature through celebration, as nature itself is a celebration of life’. Indeed this is true for her clothes expresses nothing short of comfort, vibrancy and beauty.

Very recently Guyana Lime was fortunate to interview Michelle Cole. Read the exclusive interview below:

Describe Yourself: "I am dedicated, focused,motivated, and sometimes shy".

When and how did you get into fashion designing? "When I was five years old I knew I wanted to be a fashion designer. I was always cutting up clothes to make into something else either for me or my doll and always getting into trouble for it , when I tured 11 years old my parents decided to support my talent and got me a sewing machine from that day on it was clothes and fashion, made clothes for my friends family , and as time went by every family menber would order an outfit and pay me for it. I got into the business of designing as a source of income, a hobby and as a way of expressing my creativity".

When did you realize that you had such great talent? "When I did a red gown for Mervina Sober in 1999 that was dubbed Red and ready. That gown got more press that any gown I have ever done, and is still rememebered today. I think thats when I said to myself "hey I have something special , a god given talent to share with the world and have been doing that since then".
What inspires your designs? "Nature , culture, I love things that tell stories about life".

Do you try to send out a message or theme in your clothes? "Yes I do, all of my collections tell a story , about culture or life. The story may be told by art or color or design , for eg. my TAJ collection was inspired by my visit to the tajmahal in India, after setting eyes on the beauty that was created as a tribute of love by the king that built it for his wife, I thought that to be a wonderful story hence the indian influence in that collection".

What do you think are your strengths and weaknesses in the art of fashion? "My attention to details, the fact that I can take a design from concept to the final product , I think as a designer you should be able to take your design design from that first inspiration the the sketch pad, to the fabic selection , patern cutting table ,sewing machine then to finally place on a model for that perfect fit".

What events has your line been showcased in? "Miami Fashion Week, Barbados Fashion Week, Caribbean Fashion Week , Absolut Caribbean Fashion,Carifesta nine and ten, Show Me Your Soul in St Kitts, MODDA New York,Genisis,FACTS,Miss Guyana Universe, Miss Guyana Teen,Miss Guyana World, Mash Queen, Miss Carival ,Miss Holetown,Miss Guyana African Heritage,Fashion has no borders: Canada, and many many more too many to mention".

How recognised are you as a local designer? "Well I think its an hounor as a local designer when u google Michelle Cole, the first thing that shows up is a picture myself followed by a whole host of other stories published by many different media houses , including She magazine, Pride, Sister Sister, Caribbean Impact,GEM, Shabeau, Chronicle, Guyana Times, GT vibes,Inefx,Stabroek, and many many more".

If you could do anything else, other than fashion, what would it be and why? "Other than fashion , it would be interior design, I love designing. I think if I am not creating in some way I will feel useless , so if not fashion it would be in some area of designing".

What can we expect from Michelle Cole in the next 5 years? "The walls have ears. I have lernt over the years to not reveal too much about what you have planned as sometimes not so talented people can use the information you let out against you, so for now I will keep my 5 year plans on the wrap, keep them guessing let them come up with their own creative ideas for a change, when I am ready to launch you will know what I have planned".

Guyana Lime wishes to thank Michelle Cole Rose for taking time off her busy schedule to particpate in this interview and wishes her all the best in her future endeavours.

No comments: