05 December, 2008

Artiste You Oughta Know - Don Gialiani

In keeping with promoting local Guyanese Talents, GuyanaLime is proud to present the first feature of "Artiste You Oughta Know" this being no other than Don Gialiani. Born and raised in the capital city Georgetown, Guyana, Carlton Jevaun Washington referred to as "Don Gialiani" developed an early love for music listening to records and cassette tapes of music greats from his father's collection. According to Gialiani, the release of Jay Z' 'Reasonable Doubt' in '96 and Mase's 'Harlem World' album in '97 completely turned his attention and focus on hip-hop music. From there on, making beats on desk tops, freestyling and song writing was practically a regular day for him in the early years of high school. After high school, a few friends and him formed a group called 'Ragz to Richez' in around 2002, and thats when his recording career began. The group was short lived but nevertheless they did make a few hits, which included ( After Party & V.I.P ) . Gialiani then began his solo career working with popular producer, singer, song-writer 'Fojo' of 'Platinum Studio' and the song titled "Rude Boi" featuring Fojo was an instant hit. The music video premiered on every local television station simultaneouly and got great reviews in Entertainment newspapers, magazines and websites. The releases of dancehall crossover 'Get Down' featuring Typheon and Malo and rock crossover 'Escape' featuring Andrew soon followed and were both recorded at the 'Brutal Tracks Studio'. Don Gialiani is currently managed by Timeless Barbados Inc. who are the owners of the Barbados Music Awards.
Recently, Guyana Lime was fortunate to catch up with the hip-hop artiste in a very candid interview. Read the exclusive interview with Don Gialiani here.

What does "Don Gialiani" mean to you? And how did you come up with that name?

"On one hand Don Gialiani is just a name and a way of being completely different from everyone else because if you were to google me it would be all me and basically saying don't compare me to anybody and on the other the name is more than just a name it says: style, sophistication, intelligence, superiority in my field. "
What was it about Jay Z' 'Reasonable Doubt' in '96 and Mase's 'Harlem World' album in '97 that turned your attention to hip-hop music?
"The realness and rawness of 'Reasonable Doubt' has alot to do with me being a hip hop artiste. Mostly because of how vivid the picture of Jay Z upbringing was through his music and the struggle that alot of people can relate to. You felt as if he grew on your block or right around the corner because of how similar alot of things were."

Tell us about the group you formed in high school "Ragz to Richez"

"A bunch of friends with the same passion for music got together and started doing some low budget recordings and it was mostly for fun I guess at the time because we were all persuing other more important things but for some strange reason music didnt let me go ."

Why did you choose to enter the music industry?
"Besides the fact that I'm good at what I do, it gives me a chance to voice my opinion freely, tell my story of how I live and where I'm from, to be listened to, to inspire and motivate and have my country recognised internationally."

Where do you get your inspiration when writing the lyrics for your songs?
"Everywhere. Things that are going on around me, things happening around the world, dreams I have and mostly what is present and relevant."

How recognised would you say you are as a local artist?

"I'm one of the most known recognised local artistes but I would say that is basically with the younger generation and my music isn't just limited to that group in terms of message and content so a short term goal is to make an impact on the older generation and somehow find a way to link the two because we really aren't that different."

What is your main goal in life?

"To be a person that set a possitive example that inspires and motivates through music, give back to my country in everyway possible especially in overall development."

Reports say that you are currently being managed by Timeless Barbados Inc, the owners of the Barbados Music Awards, how did you get involved with them?

"I was referred to Timeless based on my reputation in hip-hop music here and performance background. I was invited to perform at their annual Hip Hop Festival in Barbados and I guess they were impressed so they asked to manage me."

What are you currently working on?

"I'm trying to get a factory done. High quality demo done by febuary in Barbados. I will be working with some of the best upcoming artistes there, all past BMA winners or nominees with some of the best producers on that side. Currently here I'm working on a new club track with Fojo that I'm very sure will be played all around the country when it's released. I'm also doing new music with Brutal Tracks Studio and an Atlanta based producer mostly for promo purposes."

What can we expect from "Don Gialiani" in the next 5 years?

"The level of international superstar but obviously not overnight and despite what alot of people assume, I actually want to take my time getting to the top. It is very important for me to learn all aspects of the music business especially producing and also study business in general because its unrealistic to expect a lifetime career in music, atleast on the fore-front."

What advice do you have for aspiring artists?

"I will be honest and not say just whats typically said but all seriousness...
learn your weaknesses and acknowledge them early... strenghten those... be an all-rounder it increases your selfconfidence, that way you believe in you. Be humble, focused, proud... keep the faith and big things will happen."

GuyanaLime hereby expresses gratitude to Don Gialiani in taking time out of his busy schedule to participate in this interview and wishes him the very best in all of his future endeavours.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GOODLUCK TO Don Gialiani in the future.